Go to Main Website

Picture of Sarah Harries-Taylor
Success with Slime
by Sarah Harries-Taylor - Monday, 13 February 2017, 09:57 AM

slime

Savvy, successful and slimy. Trafalgar Castle Grade 10 student Alyssa J. has turned a creative interest into an avid online following and business with slime.

Alyssa first started making slime last August. She enjoyed the creativity slime presents. She made recipes that altered the texture and elasticity, she then added colours, sparkles, and scents. Soon, she found herself home to an abundance of homemade slime. She shares, “I really love making slime and in order to keep making slime I needed to buy the ingredients and so I thought, the more slime I sell, the more slime I can make.”

So began Alyssa’s online venture with etsy.com where people can purchase various types of slime online in 4 oz. or 8 oz. packages. Since her Etsy Shop opened on October 26, 2016 she has made 407 sales and has achieved a 4.5 star approval rating among her buyers. She also created an Instagram page for her slime and began posting videos. The slime quickly gained online popularity and, as of December 2016, Alyssa had 100,000 followers on Instagram.

“Customer service has been the most difficult aspect,” she says. “You have to answer the customers the best you can and as always, be nice.” However, it isn’t just customer service Alyssa has to worry about, she also has to stay organized in order to keep creating the slime, continue posting videos for her Instagram following, and orchestrate packaging and shipment of the product to buyers. “My mom helps with shipping during the day,” Alyssa admits.

When she’s not making slime, Alyssa is a part of Trafalgar Castle School’s Robotics Team that meets Mondays Wednesdays and Thursdays after school for three hours, as well as all day Saturday. Alyssa has also presented to the Grade 12 business class to share her entrepreneurial endeavour with slime.

As of today Alyssa’s Instagram has grown to 305,000 followers. Though she isn’t sure exactly what the future holds, one thing is for sure, her creative outlook and entrepreneurial spirit is something to look out for and be inspired by.